There are several career advice cliches that really get under my skin (see my Open Letter to Love for a rant on relationship-related cliches):
- Find a mentor!
- Follow your passion!
- Do what you love and the money will follow!
The follow-up that these missives are missing is HOW.
How do you find a mentor? I believe in one-off mentorship — short 15- to 30-minute calls that add up over time and that form relationships naturally and gradually.
How do you follow your passion and/or find it in the first place? I believe in big, broad, expansive and unrestricted creative thinking THEN narrowing down only after extensive work to uncover the many layers of a person’s brain and heart.
Do what you love and the money will follow? Only if you’re smart about it! Earning money is not a given — it requires skills you may not yet have such as sales and marketing.
ThinQAction TV – Video Interview with Antonio Neves
In the video we cover:
- Where to start when finding your passion (hint: take the pressure off! Dream big first.)
- How to think about your career (hint: like a smart phone, not a ladder!)
- What do you do when you feel stuck? (hint: start to notice the difference between your social vs. essential self; shackles on vs. shackles off)
- What are the perils of comparing ourselves to others? (hint: use comparison as a tool; an indicator of what you want in life)
- What’s the quickest way to start taking action? (hint: remember, “Action is the antidote to despair.” Start with micro actions! If it’s the right thing, the universe rolls out the red carpet)
- How important is it to establish good daily habits & routines? (Hint: re-read my LifeHack article, The Best Decision You can Make for Your Business…that has Nothing to Do with Money and my post on Forbes.com – 5 Ways to Manage Your Energy, Not Your Time)
Invitation to Moxie Camp NYC – June 29-July 1
I’m very excited to be a part of Alexia Vernon’s inaugural Moxie Camp 2012 in New York City this June 29-July 1, 2012. I’ll be teaching a Geek Yoga class for the whole group on Friday night, then delivering my Make Sh*t Happen workshop the next day. And guess what? You’re invited!
What is Moxie Camp?
Moxie Camp is designed for women who work in social enterprise or the nonprofit sector, want to grow a socially conscious business, or who simply want to scale their positive impact in the world. Over the course of the 2.5 days together at the beautiful New York Insight Meditation Center, Moxie Campers will have the playspace to generate ideas, compiles strategies, develop skills, grow relationships, and make *moxie* a way of being.
Here are a handful of the takeaways from the weekend dedicated to participants’ professional, personal, social and spiritual growth:
- Dive deep into your professional purpose. Discover how to build and sustain a career or business that lets your live your values, create the lifestyle you seek, and pay you what you’re worth.
- Illuminate your innate charisma, and learn to speak up and shine. Be confident and competent every time your open your mouth and share your vision and voice.
- Demystify the key behaviors to build a movement around your ideas and mobilize social change.
- Become a true influencer by stepping up to crucial conversations. Practice the arts of negotiation, giving and receiving feedback, and coaching through conflict. End risk aversion – once and for all.
- Fall in love with your financial future. By diving deep into your financial habits, hopes, and fears, you will learn how to develop financial behaviors that serve your professional and personal goals.
- Discover how to create harmony and integration in each of your life spheres. Make self-care and spirituality your launching pad for busting bigger moves in the world.
A portion of every ticket sold will benefit the nonprofit, She’s the First, a NYC-based nonprofit that sponsors girls’ education in the developing world. To grab your ticket, visit the Moxie Camp website. I hope to see some of you fabulous lady readers there!