“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” ―Jim Ryun You might know the phrase, “we are creatures of habit,” but did you know that 95% of our behavior occurs out of habit, either unconsciously or in reaction to our outside circumstances? (Schwartz, 2011) Oftentimes we want to make a change [...]
Big goals bring us alive. They call us forth, add meaning to our lives, and help us bust-through our own upper limits reach our fullest potential.
The paradox of big goals is that the more potential they have to change our lives, the more paralyzing our fears can become. That’s what change is all about: breaking down so we can build ourselves back-up — stronger, more confident, more alive.
Are you ready to Make Sh*t Happen?
I’ve got a 10-week course called Make Sh*t Happen that will help you take your biggest, scariest, hairiest goal from “improbable” idea to inevitable success. Learn more and sign-up to be notified about the next launch here. In the meantime, read about two of our recent success stories: How Devin Termini lost 85 pounds and changed his life, and a Q&A with Shannyn Allen: From Broke Grad Student to Rockstar Blogger.
Goal-setting: Laying the foundation. What brings you alive?
- What’s on Your Life Checklist? & Life Checklist Template
- 13 Questions for 2013
- 2011: Calling All Dreamers
- 10 Questions to Help You Stop Thinking and Start DOING (with template!)
- What ONE THING will you regret not doing this year? My story as told through my journal
- Big, Hairy, Scary Goals & Sticky Goals
- Wrestling with a big decision? New template at your service!
- Help a Reader Out: How Do You Make Decisions?
- Caught a Case of The Jealousies? 4 Ways to Do Something About It
On persistence, commitment, and surviving the dip
- Failure is Required. Expect Nothing Less
- One Action Can Make a World of Difference
- One Day at a Time
- Something is Better than Nothing
- How to Create a Peer Support Network
- Revolution.Is: Act As If
- Live for the Dip
- Just because you’re not seeing progress doesn’t mean it isn’t being made
- Joseph Campbell on The Hero’s Journey
- Forget Goals; Find the Happy Place!
- Conquer Your Fear: An Epic ePic from Mars Dorian
- Inner Critic Incarnate: 6 Lessons From Negative Reviews (Hint: They Don’t Kill You!)
Tales from a few of my biggest goals:
- Triathlon: 5 Things I Learned From Panicking… then Finishing
- I FINISHED MY MARATHON!!!
- Health & Fitness Resource Bonanza (& Mayo Clinic Book Giveaway)
- A Recipe for Fall that Even *I* Can Cook (and August Health Challenge Update)
- New York, New York
Yoga/Yoga Teacher Training
- A Little Slice of Heaven: 20 Life Lessons I Learned on the Rogue River
- Video Post: Headed out! See you in November…
- Eat. Sleep. Yoga. Part One: White Lotus
- Eat. Sleep. Yoga. Part Two: Re-Entry.
- Light, Love and Yoga Money
- Everybody starts somewhere: my spontaneous speech in which I drop an F-bomb
- Bali Travel Report: the Good, the Bad, the Ugly . . . and the Beautiful
- Check out my full yoga website (and Yoga 101 articles)
“Sow an act and you reap a habit. Sow a habit and you reap a character. Sow a character and you reap a destiny.” —Charles Reade Habits fascinate me. Good habits, bad habits, OCD habits. Habitual ways we cope with stress, the micro-habits that end up defining our lives, and the energizing feeling of a [...]
I’m now in Chiang Mai in the northern part of Thailand for the next month, visiting my friend Elisa and switching things up a bit before I head back to the states in March. I am still yoga’ing, writing, and taking time to myself, but there’s an added perk of finishing my SE Asia adventures here: saving [...]
Before we jump in: my friend Maryann is 7.5 months pregnant with a baby boy and her big, scary, hairy goal is to finish her Ph.D. before he arrives. In order to do that, she needs just 37 more survey responses for her topic on how Gen Y integrates self-goals with their work purpose. If you [...]
“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” —Ambrose Redmoon It’s here, it’s here! Make Sh*t Happen opens for enrollment today! The least you need to know: This course can change your life IF you do the work It costs $400* for 10 awesome weeks of [...]
It’s easy to fall into the trap of focusing on a routine set of goals — things we should do, or need to do, or that we kinda-sorta-maybe-I-guess would like to do — and then it’s no surprise that we end up letting them fall by the wayside because they feel dull and uninspiring. So today I’m sharing [...]